Date(s) - 11/20/2022
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Earlier this year, the Board announced an initiative to identify goals intended to address challenges faced by our congregation (See Reverend Larry’s excellent article in the November LINK for some context about the process). In October, the Board and Program Council held a joint workshop to identify a draft set of goals for review and ultimate approval by the congregation. The results of the workshop are listed below:
- Utilize the Assessment Process (developed by the Committee on Share Ministry in last year’s ministries assessment) to obtain input from the congregation on future venues by the end of March; including location, adaptability, and other pertinent characteristics.
- The Board will charge a task force to begin identifying potential long-term church homes to rent or own, by the end of June 2023. This goal will be ongoing.
- During (January or February 2023), we will hold a congregational workshop for interested individuals to develop a plan for a Lifespan Faith Development Program that includes continuing and strengthening Breakfast Forum, intergenerational programming, and programs for children. This goal will be ongoing.
- Utilize the Assessment Process to determine the level of satisfaction with the congregation’s ability to connect and value each other in kindness. We will develop two questions that address this goal. This technique will be used annually.
- Membership or Program Council will develop by the end of March, a telephone interview protocol for individuals who have left the church or are not attending in the last year. Ten volunteers will be identified to implement the protocol and share the results with the Committees.
- Invite members of the congregation to serve on a hospitality team charged with revitalizing a sense of community through a program of social events, such as, live service auctions, potlucks and coffee hours in 2022-25.
- By the end of June, invite consultants from CER to conduct at least one workshop with our members focused on the 8th principle and the internal work each of us must do toward equity and inclusion. Yearly educational opportunities will continue as part of the Lifespan Faith Development Program.
- Create an outreach program to include media ads, radio spots, social media, news ads, billboards, etc. with the intent of increasing the number and diversity of our membership by end of second quarter 2023. Work to implement will be ongoing over 3-5 years.
- During 2022 and 2023, Stewardship and Finance Committees will develop educational programs to increase the congregation’s understanding of the financial needs of the church.
- Expanding the meaning of stewardship to a more inclusive view of time, talent and treasure.
You will have an opportunity to review and comment on these draft goals at a town hall meeting scheduled for November 20 immediately following church services. Based on input received at this meeting, the Board will prioritize the goals and present the final goals for congregational approval at a congregational meeting held in the December/January timeframe.
Please take a few moments to review the draft goals and plan to attend the November 20 town hall to share your thoughts.