“The Inherent Worth and Dignity of Every Person”
We live our First Principle through our actions in providing dignity for all of our Guests
Our emergency shelter committee is part of a community faith-based partnership that provides a network of care and hospitality for the homeless in the community. We endeavor to:
- Be effective caregivers to those served by providing compassionate and innovative assistance.
- Raise awareness of the realities of homelessness and to inspire the greater community to action
This mission is accomplished by participating in the Bethlehem Emergency Shelter (BES) which incorporated in 2014. BES provides shelter and meals for our homeless neighbors December 1st through March 31st at Christ Church UCC located at Center and East Market Streets, Bethlehem.
What do We Do?
UUCLV volunteers give of their time to help run the shelter for homeless men and women 18 years and older. We do this multiple dates during the winter months from 4 PM until 7 AM the following morning. We provide a dinner, breakfast and manage sleeping arrangements for up to 65 guests. On our assigned nights we also offer showers at our church. Showers were installed in the UUCLV through donations in memory of Ginnie Blocker, the co-founder of this initiative at our church in 2009.
How can You Help?
- Visit our social action table after Sunday service to learn more about the shelter
- Sign up to volunteer to donate a meal or to help out on our shelter night at the table or at signup.com/go/MaAQWfu
- Donate money (checks made out to UUCLV emergency shelter) or purchase a grocery store gift card during our social hour in the community room. Leave your donation with an emergency shelter committee member.
- Donate small size men and women’s deodorant, large size shampoo and conditioner, razors and shaving cream, combs and brushes as well as men and women’s underwear and socks.
Thank you for your generosity in supporting these men and women. They truly appreciate the kindness shown to them.